Sunday, July 13, 2014

Reading on the Stoop, Basketball Math on the Court


Basketball Math on the Court
by Tom Robinson
Published by The Child's World

For our recent Reading on the Stoop session E-Man's Dad, my lil' brother BB.Josh, said that he wanted a book that told a story about basketball.  I searched for a children's book with a touch of history, but couldn't find one.  Though I found a brilliant book written and painted by Kadir Nelson titled We Are the Ship, The Story of Negro League Baseball (will be sharing more on this later), I did not find anything at the Richard Burges Library about basketball history, specifically.  What I did stumble across though was Basketball Math on the Court, which I thought was real cool considering we all love and play basketball (our father even played as a teen and adult and was a great referee in El Paso for all sorts of leagues city + school/youth + adult).  Personally, I thought the book was wonderful and recommend it especially for adults that are coaching youth leagues and would like to encourage reading amongst their players.  Even as an adult reading to E-Man, I learned a lot.  It was just a tough read, at times kind of dry for E-Man's reading level as he had a tough time engaging with the activities to learn ratios and percentages.  At times I wish there would've been more details related to the game's history, maybe even the players themselves, height/weight, vertical leap and any other factoids that allow readers to connect with more of the story of basketball as opposed to the statistics.  But these opinions stray from what I felt this book intended to do and what I feel it succeeds at doing for helping young readers understand the mathematics of the game.  So definitely check it out!

In addition, learning about the publisher of this text The Child's World was cool considering they're an independent, family-owned company that has been publishing books since 1968.  It's an interesting go to if you're looking for stories about specific subjects or recommendations for school libraries to help make connections to some of the subject matter being taught in schools these days.  

Upon visiting the site, I didn't find any titles I'd be interested in reading, but then again, I also didn't notice the Basketball Math on the Court book so I'm going to assume there are a number of titles out there from the past and present that would be good for reading to children.  I do recommend you connect with their social media accounts, especially Facebook for the posts.  Here's a picture they have posted on their timeline: 


We need to spread these messages as often as possible. 

Keywords + Tag = Basketball Math on the Court | Tom Robinson | The Child's World | mathematics | Los Angeles Lakers | Oklahoma City Thunder | Kobe Bryant | Ron Artest | Russel Westbrook | June | court measurements | math on the court | learning | comprehension | statistics | formulas | ratio | percentage | points per game | Wilt Chamberlain | Brittney Griner

No comments:

Post a Comment