Thursday, August 18, 2016

Citizen of the World, Arthur Ashe

One of our mentorship posts from the every1plays.org archive.


Citizen of the World, A Note on #Mentors
Arthur Ashe & a Langston Hughes Poem

I’m subscribed to receive one DVD from Netflix including the streaming access.  This past summer a DVD arrived about legend Arthur Ashe titled Citizen of the World, directed by Julie Anderson.  The film is a look into the life of a legendary athlete I was aware of, but knew very little about.

One of the details the film revealed was a note about Arthur Ashe’s mentor, Dr. R.W. Johnson.  In a previous Every1Plays post, I talked about one of my mentors.  The film made me think about some of today’s athletes and who they identify as mentors.

I highly recommend the film Citizen of the World.  Ashe lived a life of memorable accomplishments and extreme challenges including his fight to live after having contracted HIV during a heart bypass surgery in the 80s.  This was at a time of ruthless stigma, prejudice, and negativity against those living with HIV and/or advocating on its behalf.  Til’ this day, advocates work tirelessly to educate and raise awareness on issues like stigma that continues to occur across the country and around the world..

Above is a photograph of Arthur Ashe with several others including his mentor.  I included a link to the Arthur Ashe documentary on Amazon below.  If you’re a teacher or coach looking to school your students on Arthur Ashe, the game of tennis, and why this film is titled Citizen of the World, I’d suggest you check it out!

In the film, it included reference to a poem by Langston Hughes I believe is titled “To You”.

To Sit and dream, to sit and read,
To sit and learn about the world outside
Our world of here and now – our problem world-
To dream of vast horizons of the soul
Through dreams made whole, unfettered, free – help me!
All you who are dreamers too, help me make the world anew.
I reach out my dreams to you. 

by Langston Hughes

Citizen of the World / Amazon.com: click here

No comments:

Post a Comment